1. Visit the Amana Colonies – This town is enchanting especially at Christmas time. Make sure to check out the General Store, which has a Room devoted to Christmas year-round. Also, don’t miss family style brunch at the Ronneburg. Come hungry and stay awhile so you can handle multiple rounds of pancakes.
2. Try out a new winter activity – My favorite is cross-country skiing. You can rent skis from Fin and Feather and head out to the trails all over town. Believe it or not, there’s even some downhill skiing close by. Sundown Mountain is in Dubuque and Chestnut Mountain is in Galena, IL.
3. Go to indoor sporting events – We all know about the Hawkeys, but don’t forget the RoughRiders (Cedar Rapids’ USHL hockey team) play all winter long. Cedar Rapids even has an indoor soccer league, the Rampage.
4. Go ice skating – If you don’t have your own skates, rent them at Coral Ridge Mall or at the Cedar Rapids Ice Arena.
5. Explore County or State Parks – Pile the layers on and get outside to see our County Parks in a whole new way. Most of the parks still offer events for kids and adults during the winter to help distract you from the cold.
What are your favorite winter activities in Iowa? Share your wonderful ideas in the comments below!